Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Musings of a Mother

Daughter soaks fresh veggies in a cool salt bath in
preparation to rinse, dry, chop, and store.
Once upon a time I had no silver hair, I was half an inch taller, and my spunky energy lasted until nearly bedtime.  Although I've now come to accept the lack of young-adult pep and the loss of some height, and I consider each gray hair something I've rightfully earned, it is still startling to realize how quickly time has passed by. 

I am especially reminded of these things as I watch my daughter do many of the same activities she observed in me some thirty years ago.  More than once my husband has said to me that she is "her mother's daughter."  

This has my agreement except I think she has already surpassed me in several areas.  She is a more confident cook than I was at her age, and her quilting just blows me away.  I wish she didn't live in Never Snows, which is nearly two thousand miles from Blogville. But at the same time I imagine she has more freedom to blossom into who she is meant to be because of the distance.  Her marriage and  motherhood, along with a shared love for the Lord, have helped to close the gap that developed between us during her late teen/young adult years. Now we keep in touch with frequent emails (adorned with an appropriate number of grandchild pictures, of course) and I just love it.

This week she wrote to say she needed to make room in the fridge, so she used up left-over veggies to make a pizza for lunch.  Caramelized onions; sauteed garlic, zucchini, mushrooms and yellow squash; topped with mozzarella and basil.  Doesn't this look yummy?!

Homemade Pizza from Daughter's Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment